Catwoman: Damsel in Distress?

4:17 PM / Comments (3) / by Shells

Okay. Let's talk about Catwoman for a moment, shall we? The solicit for GSC #17 reads:

Catwoman’s been kidnapped, and now Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn must team up with Talia al Ghul and Zatanna to free her before she gives up her most valuable secret – a secret that will force Talia to desperate measures.

Selina kidnapped again? Is it just me, or has Selina been written a lot less stronger than normal (with the exception of maybe some guest starring roles in other Bat-books).

I know she got kidnapped in Heart of Hush, and okay. I can deal with that. But again? Not to mention in World's Finest, she got chained up and then LEFT by Batgirl (and they supposedly have a decent relationship).

Then they did that whole weird arc in Sirens with her sister (in which one of the covers showed her beaten with a chain around her neck).

I always viewed Selina as extremely cunning and capable, and it seems to me that that aspect has been toned down a lot lately. Remember in the villains special when she totally one-up'd Hush? THAT'S the Selina I remember.

A friend said "There's only so many times you can screw over the same character." We're both hoping maybe this solicit is just DRAMA and things turn around and she ends up saving herself. Please?

3 comments:

Derrick @ August 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM

It is lazy storytelling but potentially comes out of respect for the character.
Of the Sirens, Selina is best of them so for an entertaining team story the team lead has to go bye bye to make everyone work together in a different way.

~burts

Shells @ August 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM

It -is- lazy storytelling, and I don't thing it's necessary for a book like this. It was doing really well it's first arc, and nothing like that happened at all.

I get that you're supposed to "torture your characters" while writing, but the constant damsel in distress business is getting a bit too repetitive, especially for a characters as strong as Selina.

Anonymous @ August 17, 2010 at 2:59 AM

That was exactly my reaction when I read the solicits.

I think Sirens has done such a disservice to the character. The whole premise of the book is a much weakened Catwoman. I totally blame Paul Dini for this. He seems incapable of writing a Catwoman that isn't waiting for a Batman (or others) to rescue her. His Arkham City looks like yet another Penelope Pitstop story to me.

And the World's Finest appearance is utterly degrading.

In general, I hate what DC's doing to Catwoman. As one of their more well-known female icons, she deserves much better than this.